So you are putting together your list for new equipment for next year and thinking about a truck or trailer – added crews mean added equipment, right?
The first rule, of course, is to pay cash. If you can’t afford it, you can’t afford it – it would just hurt you in the long run if something happened and you couldn’t afford the loan on the equipment. We know too many lawn companies that ruined themselves with loans.
That stated, having an efficient truck bed or trailer set up can easily save your crews up to 30 minutes a week (with a 40 week season, that’s 20 hours for one crew!). So it can be well worth it to refine and design the perfect work set up for your crews. Here are some of the options that we have looked at with their pros and cons.
Trailers, Truck Beds, and Super Lawn Trucks!
In the Green Industry where you can typically only work a part of the year and on a limited number of properties a week (see our man hour rating article) – the name of the game is efficiency, efficiency, efficiency!
- They are easy to find used.
- Trailers are the least expensive add-on to a truck.
- They are not limited to always being pulled by a specific truck.
- Trailers aren’t customized for the Green Industry to be the most efficient.
- They are more difficult to maneuver on the road.
- They are more difficult to park.
- You can customize truck beds to be as efficient as possible.
- Using them cost less money than buying a whole new truck like Super Lawn Trucks.
- They are easy to maneuver, park, and do U-turns with.
- You can design them yourself and make them yourself with experience or have them built by a trailer company.
- They can not store your equipment and keep it dry through bad weather.
- They cannot be moved onto a different truck easily.
- Truck beds take a lot of planning time to make them as efficient as possible.
- You can customize Super Lawn Trucks for the equipment that you need.
- They have an easy lift gate system.
- They can store your equipment through bad weather and provide security.
- They are not as efficient in getting equipment out quickly as trailers and truck beds can be.
- Unfortunately, they are the most expensive option.
- If the truck breaks down, you can’t move them to another one.
As you can see in the picture, CLIP Lawn Care, LLC uses its own Truck Bed system – that’s part of why we can mow our residential properties this fast. We have many customers that use regular trailers (it’s usually the cheapest way to start) or Super Lawn Trucks (as storage and trailers) as well, so you just need to find the best option for your company.